Ins. co. sues tenant for $2m, over fire started by blowtorching a squirrel

Ins. co. sues tenant for $2m, over fire started by blowtorching a squirrel

[Ed. – Because some days, you just need a good blowtorched-squirrel story to keep your spirits up.]

HOLLAND TWP. (WWJ/AP) A southwest Michigan couple is being sued for more than $2 million over damages caused by an apartment fire sparked when they tried to cook a squirrel with a propane torch.

Two lawsuits were filed in Ottawa County Circuit Court by insurance companies that covered damages after the October 2012 fire in Holland Township.

Fire broke out on the balcony of a third-floor unit at Clearview Apartments after Khek Chanthalavong used a torch to burn off the squirrel’s fur as he prepared to cook the rodent. After removing the fur,  Chanthalavong went inside to prepare his meal. About 15 minutes later, Chanthalavong smelled something burning and saw his balcony in flames. The fire spread to the roof, completely destroying eight apartments and damaging several others.

Chanthalavong shared the apartment with his girlfriend, Barbara Pellow. The insurance company claims both are liable for any smoke or water damage under their agreed upon apartment lease.

Continue reading →

 


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse. Read more.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.

Facebook Comments

Disqus Comments