This is not the first time boredom has been offered as a defense for criminal acts by minor delinquents. Last August the bored party was a 17-year-old from Indiana who, in search of a way to pass the time, settled on killing kittens with a bow and arrow, then posting gruesome photos of their carcasses on Facebook.
This time around the suspect is 16, and his cure for ennui was to set fire to a Coney Island high rise. No one was killed, though two members of New York’s finest remain hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation. Both are said to be fighting for their lives.
According to New York’s Daily News, the “firebug,” Marcell Dockery, was charged Monday with setting the blaze that critically injured housing cops Rosa Rodriguez and Dennis Guerra. Dockery has been charged with two counts of assault, one of arson, and one of reckless endangerment. If either officer dies, felony murder is likely to be added to the mix.
It will perhaps come as no surprise that Dockery has a rap sheet that includes a previous arrest for lighting a fire. He started the conflagration Sunday by torching a mattress in the 13th floor hallway of the building where he lives.
Dockery told authorities that he planned on extinguishing the flames but that when they became too fierce to stomp out, he bolted.
Since his arrest, Dockery has also been charged with robbery and grand larceny after a 60-year-old tenant who saw his picture in the paper fingered him as the thug who menaced her on March 7 with a razor blade. According to the tenant, Yanick Francois:
He said, ‘Don’t say nothing before you get your face cut.’ He took my bag and threw everything on the floor and he grabbed $10 and ran up the stairs. I didn’t call cops because I’m scared.
In December 2010, Dockery was charged with reckless endangerment. The following March, he was arrested for criminal mischief for pot possession.
On his Facebook page, Dockery posted a picture of himself with what appears to be a joint in his mouth. Under “About,” he describes himself as having attended Liberation Diploma Plus High School, a last-chance school for students whose previous attempts at an education “didn’t take.”
- ‘Bored’ teen kills kittens with bow and arrow, posts gruesome photos on Facebook
- The Oklahoma shooters: The real story
- Black Oklahoma teens shoot white man to death ‘just for fun’
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Will senseless near-deadly beating of white St. Paul man by black gang trigger Jesse Jackson’s moral outrage?
- When will Sharpton, Jackson et. al. break their silence on the Florida school bus beating?
- Back to school … and ‘Trayvon Martin dialogs’
- Ebony,’ libs duped by fake claim that Tea Party planned to boycott Sept issue
- How will history textbooks treat the death of Trayvon Martin? Here’s a sneak preview
- Another round of misleading ‘classroom resources’ on Zimmerman trial
- Sorry, Roddy White, we called ‘No backsies’
- Blacks benefit disproportionately from FL’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- Samuel L. Jackson warns ‘young brothers it’s open season’
- ‘We are all Trayvon Martin’ mural to be unveiled at FL capitol
- Dog struck and killed by car whose driver was aiming to run over dog’s master
- Soccer player ejected after hurling stray dog that wandered onto playing field