Baby dies after ingesting mother’s drug-tainted breast milk

Baby dies after ingesting mother’s drug-tainted breast milk

A child advocacy worker is criticizing Sacramento County’s response in the case of an 8-month-old boy who died after ingesting his mother’s drug-laced milk.

A report by the Sacramento Bee says Child Protective Services took three months to fully respond to the case of a child considered at risk after tests found he was exposed to the drugs.

Ryder Salmen died September 2012 after overdosing on a fatal mix of Xanax, methadone and the painkiller Opana. Court documents said the infant’s mother had been warned five months earlier to stop breastfeeding because of high levels of methadone found in her baby’s bloodstream. The test came after Ryder, then 4 months old, was brought to a hospital because he was lethargic.

Continue reading →


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse. Read more.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.

Facebook Comments

Disqus Comments