If Barack Obama had a daughter… Wait a minute. Obama does have a daughter. Two of them, in fact — one 15 and one 12. Would he want either one of them holding up a sign reading “Jesus isn’t a d**k; so keep him out of my vagina”? Would any father want his early-adolescent daughter holding aloft that vulgarity?
You bet! Salon exultantly reports — under the (awesome) headline “Awesome dad defends awesome daughter’s message to Texas lawmakers,” no less — that Texas pappy Billy Cain came to his daughter’s defense on Monday.
Cain wrote an op-ed for The Guardian in which he explained:
Last week, the state of Texas signed an incredibly restrictive new anti-abortion bill into law. More than 10,000 people turned out at the state Capitol during its passage. My wife and I wanted to be there. Our daughter did too. As parents, we believe that children should be taught continually, instead of just at school. My daughter and I have been to city council meetings to watch and discuss how politics gets done in the city. We have taken our children to the Capitol repeatedly because it is important for them to understand how politics affects them personally.
One applauds Cain’s desire to educate his children on social issues, although one hopes he steers clear of the petulant name calling directed by those on the left, including the author of the Salon article, at “reproductive rights opponents.” (One also hopes he avoids dopey euphemisms like “reproductive rights,” which apart from enabling advocates of abortion to avoid calling a spade a spade, neglects the reproductive rights of the fetus, aka “things” if you are Melissa Harris-Perry.)
Then again, ’willingness to allow his daughter to carry a sign that is so crassly vulgar and offensive to many suggests that tolerance for opposing views is not among the lessons he teaches.
- Liberal feminist group: ‘If our reproductive choices are denied, so are yours’
- For second time, MSNBC’s Harris-Perry calls fetuses ‘things’
- MSNBC’s Krystal Ball discusses gay marriage on TV with 5-year-old daughter
- Planned Parenthood rep argues for killing babies born alive after abortion fails
- Video: Manhattan college students play “baby-killing” game
- One of Al Gore’s political stooges tells why Paul Ryan ‘likes fetuses so much’
- Touré tweets ‘get your abortions NOW in case the Republicans win’
- University displays billboard-sized naked vaginas in pro-abortion exhibit
- Obama exploiting innocent kids to promote gun control: The movie (Photos)
- Racist MSNBC graphic declares GOP ‘blinded by the white’
- The left’s assault on gender distinction