The moral of this story out of Texas yesterday is that if you’re going to mock someone for what you presume to be their religious beliefs, then you had better steer clear of mocking someone else’s religious beliefs.
The narrative in a nutshell (nut case?) is that pro-abortion activists supporting a Lone Star State mandate that would illegalize abortions past the 20th week of pregnancy were drowned out in their rendition of “Amazing Grace” by counter-protesters chanting “Hail Satan.”
Putting aside for a moment that the Christian hymn crossed over long ago into the realm of secular music — that is, not every pro-lifer singing yesterday may have been doing so out of religious fervor — the choice to ridicule them by espousing Satan worship offended a whole new group of the “devout.”
Unfortunate to see Satan’s name used in such a diabolical manner. Another example of what ‘Satanism’ doesn’t represent.
When you’ve lost the devil worshippers…
In the meantime, James Taranto today had an amusing segment on the kerfuffle that addressed an attempt to excuse the mock Satan worship by Elspeth Reeve of The Atlantic Wire. Referencing the complaints by conservative websites over the inappropriateness of the abortion backers, Reeves writes:
And yet that wasn’t the worst of it. Twitchy, The Daily Caller, The Blaze, and others [including the present site] picked up a photo showing a little girl holding a sign that says, ‘If I wanted the government in my womb, I would f*** a senator!’…
However, it’s a fake. Or at least, it’s not from the Texas demonstrations. The photo was posted on a message board in December 2007. The anti-abortion crowd will have to stick with its five Satanists.
Taranto notes that today that final paragraph “has a strikethrough tag and is followed by this update: ‘I read the date wrong. The photo is real! My apologies. The pro-choice activists appear to have let a kid hold that sign after all, which, gross [sic].’”
How much do supporters of so-called “reproductive rights” want to believe in the righteousness of their cause? So much so that they will pretend not only to worship Satan but to see things that aren’t there.
- ‘Hail, Satan’: Pro-abortion protesters battle ‘Amazing Grace’ in Texas (Video)
- Young girl’s sign at TX protest: “If I Wanted the Government in My Womb, I Would F*** a Senator!”
- Liberal feminist group: ‘If our reproductive choices are denied, so are yours’
- Planned Parenthood rep argues for killing babies born alive after abortion fails
- Doctor who joked about live babies he aborted on trial for murder
- Video: Manhattan college students play “baby-killing” game
- Daily Kos salutes trashing of NYC ‘Cost of Teen Pregnancy’ PSAs
- One of Al Gore’s political stooges tells why Paul Ryan ‘likes fetuses so much’
- Touré tweets ‘get your abortions NOW in case the Republicans win’
- University displays billboard-sized naked vaginas in pro-abortion exhibit