Charges upgraded in hit-run that killed couple, unborn child

Charges upgraded in hit-run that killed couple, unborn child

A grand jury has indicted the driver accused in a fatal hit-and-run crash this month on new charges of second-degree manslaughter, the Brooklyn district attorney said in a statement on Tuesday.

The expanded charges are more severe than previously sought by prosecutors against the driver, Julio Acevedo, for his behavior behind the wheel in the high-speed crash that killed a man, a pregnant woman and, a day later, their prematurely delivered son.

At his arraignment, prosecutors had charged Mr. Acevedo, 44, with criminally negligent homicide, a low-level felony. But the district attorney, Charles J. Hynes, said that further investigation by his office had led to increased charges.

“While we knew it was a snowy evening and the defendant was speeding, our investigation has developed additional information concerning the nature of Mr. Acevedo’s conduct leading up to the fatal crash,” Mr. Hynes said in the statement.

Continue reading →


Commenting Policy

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse. Read more.

You may use HTML in your comments. Feel free to review the full list of allowed HTML here.

Facebook Comments

Disqus Comments