Don’t be surprised if you happen across a headline in the near future that reads “10-year-old executed after bringing toy gun to school.” In the nationwide competition to mete out the most extreme punishment for “gun play” (as it is defined in the 21st century), school districts are way past mere suspensions and even expulsions.
Which is not to say that expulsion is off the table for a 10-year-old who was arrested on Tuesday “for brandishing a (toy) weapon.” The boy has already been suspended.
MyFoxDC.com reports that the child in question is (was?) an elementary school student in Northern Virginia. He is facing criminal charges after displaying a replica silver handgun to classmates on the way home from school on Monday:
The boy, a fifth-grader at Douglas MacArthur Elementary School in Alexandria, Va., was arrested and charged … Tuesday after he allegedly showed off the weapon on a school bus.
According to the police report, he failed to tell his fellow riders that the gun was a fake. It’s hard to imagine why that made his actions criminal, unless the cops are surmising that a student with a real handgun in his backpack might have felt impelled to draw his weapon. In any case, the fake gun is reported to have a black handle and orange tip.
The gun-toting child showed up at school with the gun among his belongings again on Tuesday, but this time the police were waiting for him. After his arrest, he was reportedly transported to a juvenile detention center and later released.
Alexandria City Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Morton Sherman told reporters that the student has been suspended and that expulsion is under consideration.
- Student suspended for having picture of gun on his laptop (Photos)
- Bridge too far: 6-year-old expelled for bringing toy gun to school (Photos)
- 5-year-old suspended from playtime for making toy gun out of Legos (Photos)
- Kindergartner suspended for threatening to ‘shoot’ a classmate with bubbles
- 6-year-old Maryland student suspended for pointing finger like gun
- SF HS student suspended over private Newtown poem
- Stallone latest Hollywood denizen to voice support for gun control (Photos)
- Rahm Emanuel urges two major banks to stop lending to gun manufacturers
- CT town to burn violent video games as school begins again (Photos)
- Police chief boycotts Denny’s after officers ejected for being armed
- Liberals toy with idea of profiling white males as solution to Newtown
- Newtown 7th grader seeks to rid nation of violent video games
- In dealing with massacre, Obama lacks what it takes to be an agent of change
- Anti-gun NY Dem threatens to ‘embarrass’ Obama in re guns
- MSM anchors see insulting historical antecedents in gun debate