Oh, goody. Eric Holder changed his mind. Reuters reports that the attorney general, whom it describes as “a lightning rod of criticism from Republicans,” is staying put. Despite dropping broad hints in November that he would likely join the mass exodus of post holders in Obama’s cabinet, Holder confirmed through a White House spokesman on Wednesday that he will remain the nation’s top law enforcer – at least until the investigation of Fast and Furious resumes, at which time the AG may find himself leaving involuntarily.
Reuters intimates that Holder’s decision may be informed by his advisory role in in Vice President Joe Biden’s task force on finding ways to reduce gun violence. Newsbusters dredged up a 1995 video that reveals that Holder’s position on that subject is as fair and reasoned as his position on any number of topics, from the treatment of “his people” by a “nation of cowards” to cavalierly tossing out convictions for voter intimidation.
The video, which follows, is transcribed below.
What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that’s not cool, that it’s not acceptable, it’s not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we’ve changed our attitudes about cigarettes. You know, when I was growing up, people smoked all the time. Both my parents did. But over time, we changed the way that people thought about smoking, so now we have people who cower outside of buildings and kind of smoke in private and don’t want to admit it.
In the meantime, it appears that the Newtown massacres have changed the way people think about guns, but not in the direction Holder has in mind. Politico reports that The National Rifle Association acquired more than 100,000 new members in the last 18 days.
- Eric Holder says he may resign from attorney general post
- Has anyone noticed Obama’s entire original economic team has bolted?
- If House finds Holder in contempt of Congress, Obama will pay a big price
- New Black Panthers may make a return appearance on Election Day
- Report: At least 122 guns from “Fast and Furious” used in Mexican crimes
- Eric Holder ‘punk’d’: White man IDing himself as Holder offered AG’s ballot
- The Holder Justice Department, voter ID laws, and the liberal mind
- AG Holder, brother ‘weren’t aware’ of taxes owed on family home in Queens
- NM dog becomes registered voter
- Is Obama courting the ‘dead’ vote?
- The truth behind Holder’s push for ‘electoral equality’
- Election law: Eric Holder’s cowardice is showing
- White House stonewalls on Solyndra: disobeys House subpoena
- Obama to stimulate economy through executive power grab
- Will “Fast and Furious” be Eric Holder’s Waterloo?
- Explosive hate-filled video suggests Justice Department bias in voter intimidation case